The Character and how to make them!
By: Chris Riley
THE CHARACTER is everything in manga.
There is no plot without the characters.
There is no action without them.
There is no manga without them.
So...how do you make a character? OK well lets make a good guy. The
What is he? Is he strong
willed? Cool? Strong built? Stupid? Weak willed? Wild? Gentle, perky,
Choose one. The MOST common main character type is strong willed (curse
Sailor Moon! =D )
So we have a strong willed character. We draw him accordingly. Firm lifting
eyebrows, closed mouth in a reversed v shape, short hair for girls, defined
position; these are what we add in for a strong willed character.
1. Cool - Different kinds, cruel, artistic, delicate etc. Narrow eyebrows.
Slender look. Long sharp eyes. Clear nose line. Glasses can add a sense
2. Wild - perky hair, grinning, bigger eyes, unkempt look, big eyebrows,
3. Perky/cute - short/tied back hair, eye wide open (lol no pun intended),
more child like face proportions, small nose, ribbon's on girls can add
a sense of cuteness.
4. Gentle - always smiling, eyebrows far apart (close together makes strong
impression) narrow droopy eyes, long hair, round faces.
5. For a the calm guy you could add those eyes that Bulma's mother has
in DBZ [ up-side down U's ].
6. Weak willed - delicate, drawn like the gentle people, usually a troubled
7. Strong Willed AND selfish - strong, with a lot of pride, eyes are lifted
up, curled, detailed hair makes them look richer. ;)
8. Evil dudes - eyes are usually like triangles, most of the eyes are
white. Pupils are small black dots. Look of strength. Usually big and
bulky with spiky or no hair.
OK now that that's through with (whew) on to the next part.
To finish the drawing, add a few weapons and some neat armor/clothing
(depending on the character, if your character needs it use it, if not
don't =D )
OK now for the rest of
What does he/she like? Dislike?
What are a few shticks (sp?) that he/she has? (They are like Goku eating
a ton of food always, Serena always being clumsy, Ash being a annoying
little twit...nm that's not one >) , and Gene always rushing into danger.
I know I'm only using the US TV ones, but heck, everyone knows 'em right?)
What angers them? What happens when they're angry?
How do they attack?
Now that that's done, do it a few more times for the rest of the main
characters. This is not needed for supporting characters. (The inn keeper,
grocery store manager, villain they fight once... etc.)
Once you know your characters inside out, can draw them attacking other
people, interacting with other people, expressing their emotions etc,
then its time to start drawing the manga..... stay tuned for #2 - Beginning
(Authors note: This tutorial comes from mostly my experience and the How
to Draw Manga #1, Power Up Manga Techniques for Beginners (good book =-D
) I hope this helps and will make more soon =D )